Wednesday, June 10, 2009

"An Open Letter to My Congressmen"

Yesterday the U.S. Congress officially turned their backs on private property rights and at least 40,000 innocent Americans. For weeks I have been calling my elected officials in Washington D.C. to please do something to stop the illegal and unjust closing of 789 Chrysler dealerships by 11 unelected "car czars" and an out of control bankruptcy judge. I had a glimmer of hope the past few days that maybe some members of Congress were getting it. But after yesterday, I conclude that the Congress as a whole could care less about you and me.

So, I wrote my Congressmen today. Essentially, this is what was in my three e-mails:

"Dear Congressmen--Can you explain to me how you can stand idly by and watch 40,000 Americans get thrown out of work and call that "strengthening the middle class?" I read your websites often, and there is usually this slogan--"We are strengthening the middle class." Baloney. You watched eleven unelected "car czars" (whose job descriptions are NOT in the Constitution) and a bankruptcy judge cancel the franchise agreements of 789 Chrysler dealerships. You watched as thousands of livelihoods of honest Americans were taken away by government. You watched as private businesses which were no burden to the government, no burden to Chrysler were snatched away, and trampled without appeal.

I suppose this is the dawn of "spreading the wealth" in America. I guess this is your idea of "strengthening the middle class." Confiscate other people's livelihood, and transfer it to others, just because you think you can get away with it.

I never heard a peep of protest from any of you. The Senate had hearings last week and thumped their chests, and said "Tisk, tisk." Then you did NOTHING. You watched as the Constitution you swore to uphold was spat upon. You said and did NOTHING.

We don't need more of your government programs. All we ask is that you leave us alone to be free and for you to do your job according to the Constitution you swore to uphold."

Ladies and gentlemen, I don't know why Congress is not listening. I have to believe that at some point, someone will wake up and do the right thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment