Thursday, April 30, 2009

"Swine Flu"

I remember as a kid in junior high in the 70's the threat of swine flu. Yes it made the headlines back then, and everybody was afraid, and no epidemic broke out. Here we go again.

So out of a nation of 310 million people, less than 100 cases of this strain of swine flu has erupted, with only one death. All I hear is panic at every turn, with the UN, our President, the Center for Disease Control, and the head of Health and Human Services all pledging to work hard on this case and help us through this "pandemic" as they call it.

What can government do? Stop and think for a minute. There is no vaccine for this. It is not airborne. But millions of people look to our government for wisdom and safety and they receive such sage advice as this: Wash your hands and don't cough in someone's face. I kid you not. This is the serious advice from our leadership? I thought I learned such hygiene tips from my mother when I was four!

Remember the bird flu that was supposed to wipe us out four years ago? Remember West Nile Virus (which the newscasters always bring out on a slow news day)? Forgive me if I am a bit cynical, but when our government continues to create its own crises only to offer itself as a solution, and when our government continues to politicize things such as the weather ("climate change"), I can't help but be a little skeptical. Cover your mouth when you sneeze, and go about your business, and ignore the professional politicians who can't let a good crisis go to waste.

1 comment:

  1. I also examined this subject (with tongue in cheek) with an essay entitled "A (Hopefully) Healthy Helping of News". I hope you find it as humorous as was intended.

    Having said that, I couldn't agree with you more

    ReplyDelete